Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 5, 2021

Daily Devotional December 28 - A New Beginning

 "And if it seem evil unto you to serve the LORD, choose you this day whom ye will serve; whether the gods which your fathers served that were on the other side of the flood, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land ye dwell: but as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD."  Joshua 24:15

The new year is coming up fast.  Not everyone confesses a New Year's Resolution, but making a declaration to pull away from certain things that you have let creep into your life might be wise.  It's easy over the years to allow little indiscretions work their way into your lifestyle.  But it is just as easy to kick them out. 

That's what Joshua is saying in this verse.
Paraphrased: "If you aren't into the Lord and you think you have found other gods that can meet your needs, go with them.  If you have found other paths that you believe will take you to your desired destination, go on about it.  If you like the way things have been going and you don't want to include God in your life, then make it known.  Quit dabbling with God.  God is not a toy.  For me and my house, we will continue to serve the Lord in whom we have breath and life.  To turn back now would be like an ant falling into an ant-eaters hole."

It doesn't really matter whether you put stock in the New Years Resolution concept or not.  It is the beginning of a new year, a new day, a new decade.  This is the first day and first days are important.  Sometimes the way you start something out is the way it ends.  It's not superstitious to want to start out the new year with hope and direction.  The Lord offers this hope and direction.  Jesus can make an ordinary year into an extraordinary experience.  I'm not willing to try out this new year without asking God to go before me at every turn; make a path real straight and discernible; offer His supernatural intervention when needed and to give me the wherewithal to surmise my circumstances and make wise decisions.  I've made up my mind, for me and my house, we will serve the Lord.  How about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment