Search This Blog

Thursday, August 25, 2016

Daily Devotional August 25 - Get Over Yourself

"For whatsoever things were written aforetime were written for our learning, that we through patience and comfort of the scriptures might have hope. Now the God of patience and consolation grant you to be likeminded one toward another according to Christ Jesus:"  Romans 15:4-5

Note: If you follow my blog, you already know that I deal with difficult subjects. 
Occasionally when confronted with something that hits home a person will be offended. I'm sorry about that. At the same time, looking back through life I must admit that generally when I was offended I had to stop and think about whether the offence was just generic din or real and I needed to deal with it. I do not write anything with the intent to offend, but I have come to recognize that in order to get in alignment with the will of God, it is required that I evaluate myself as I move forward to determine if the way I do what I do glorifies God or myself. 
Quite often after a good self-flogging I better serve mankind and the body of Christ. Sometimes that self-flogging is generated by something I read or something someone said (maybe out of love).

I can tell you right now that this is not what Christians are doing today. It amazes me just how easy Christians are offended at each others beliefs. I'm talking about mainstream Christianity, major denominations. It seems that if you don't wear their colors, you are considered a second class Christian. Those who don't believe in the gifts of the spirit cast aspersions on those who do as if they were of the devil and those who do believe in the gifts of the spirit think that those who don't are spiritually dead. This ought not to be. Where is the common ground? Where is the temperance? Where is the patience? How do you comfort one another if you are striving with one another. Get over it.

I'm glad that you believe what you do. But despite whatever faith within the faith you hold, you should find reasons to commune with those of others faiths within the faith. There's only one real Jesus. He only died once for all. He forgave the sins of those in all Christian denominations. He is still answering the prayers of the saints, Baptist, Assembly of God, Catholic, Presbyterian, Methodist, Full Gospel, Nazarene, and the new storefront church down the street with a name like, Mount Zion Fellowship of Souls Consuming Fire Ministry.

How can there be like mindedness if all we do is find fault with one another?

Now to the point about good theology. It is true that some denominations have better theology than others and it is also true that some pastors are far better prepared than others to teach eternal truths, but there is no reason to put down those with less talent or experience. This isn't a game where the most polished or professional wins. The body of Christ is a living organism and we should be functioning as a living organism. All born again believers are welcome and all born again believers have within them much truth and some fault. Casting aspersions and cutting each other down and name calling and even thinking so lowly of others as we sometimes do is not godly.

Now about the Church. Most differences are not among the people of different denominations, the difference are theological. One is a Calvinist, another Armenian and still another Reformed or Wesleyan. I've met them all and they all have much to offer and much to learn. Cold-hearted anything persuasion is not the will of God.

I know this: The hardness of the heart can keep the mind from receiving new light and that is a shame to anyone seeking to be like Christ. And if all you are seeking is to be right, as time goes by, you are going to be very lonely and at the end of it all, being right about minor theological difference will not count for any points. God is not going to pat you on the back and say, 'well done thou faithful and just denominationlist. Your theology was so right I almost had to let you in heaven based on your theological acumen.'

It is not my idea that we should live together in peace and be "like-minded one toward another according to Christ Jesus." It is God's idea. And that's worth following.

No comments:

Post a Comment