Search This Blog

Saturday, March 16, 2013

Daily Devotional march 14 - Does The Jesus Life conflict With Your Plans

"And it came to pass, that, as they went in the way, a certain man said unto Him, Lord, I will follow Thee whithersoever Thou goest. And Jesus said unto him, Foxes have holes, and birds of the air have nests; but the Son of man hath not where to lay His head." Luke 9:57-58

There are two major themes here. "a certain man said unto Him, Lord, I will follow Thee withersoever Thou goest." It amazes me how many people call Jesus Lord, but they really don't have a clue what it means. "I will follow Thee withersoever Thou goest:"
As long as it does not conflict with my favorite TV show
As long as my wife/husband agrees that this is a good time to do something for the Lord
As long as it does not conflict with what I already believe
As long as it is between 9:00 am and 1:00 pm on Sunday
As long as I don't have to go anywhere other than where I already go
As long as I don't have to speak with .....
As long as ??? is not going to be there
As long as I get paid
As long as I think it will be of personal benefit to me to do so
Don't be a part of the "I will follow Thee whithersoever Thou goest," 'as long as' Club. Jesus would rather you were uncommitted than a fake.

Don't get too flustered, Jesus knows that we are just a little committed to Him. Jesus understands that most of what we do is for ourselves or our immediate family and that most of what we do is for our own benefit even if it is just to get a pat on the back.

"Foxes have holes, and birds of the air have nests, but the Son of man hath not where to lay His head." Ask yourself these question and be honest:
If Jesus was to walk into your congregation and begin to speak, do you think the clergy would recognize Him and let Him speak?
If Jesus was to come to your door after being beaten and left for dead would you take Him in and heal His wounds?
If Jesus was talking to your 11 year old daughter, would you step in and pull her away?

Even the disciples were guilty of only going so far with Jesus. Even the disciples were bothered when Jesus began to hold the children and speak directly to them. Even the disciples denied Him. This is a fallen world and the signs of its level of disgrace is easily seen in the uncommitted Christian community. It does not have to be this way.

What hope do we have? I'll tell you. We have the hope that is spoken of in the Bible. God stills calls men and women, teens and children to follow Him. You are in the prime of your life to take another look at Jesus and make a decision to follow Him and give Him rest in your home. You are empowered by the indwelling Holy Spirit to go and do...... Don't be afraid to be a fool for Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment