Search This Blog

Monday, November 2, 2020

Daily Devotional October 29 - The Truth Within The Truth

 "And He said unto them, Which of you shall have a friend, and shall go unto him at midnight, and say unto him, friend, lend me three loaves; For a friend of mine in his journey is come to me, and I have nothing to set before him? And he from within shall answer and say, trouble me not: the door is now shut, and my children are with me in bed; I cannot rise and give thee. I say unto you, though he will not rise and give him, because he is his friend, yet because of his importunity (insistence and persistence) he will rise and give him as many as he needeth. And I say unto you, ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock and it shall be opened unto you. For everyone that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened."

Please take time and study this carefully. There are some great truths here.

The first truth is the reference to midnight. Midnight is after the last minute. If you were going to go to someone who could help you with your need, you usually wouldn't go to them after hours, probably not after 7:00 or 8:00 or 9:00 pm. Even if you were almost desperate you would still not go to them that late, but midnight, that's out of the question. It's just too late. But notice the inference here. Even if you come to the Lord past the last minute, it's not too late.

The second truth is the reference to the 'story.' The story being the man's story who is knocking on the door. He starts by telling the man with the bread why he needs the bread and the urgency of the matter. His friend needs the bread and he doesn't have the bread to give him. In other words he has someone coming to him with a need and he is not prepared to meet the need. Of the thousands of Christians I have interviewed, it seems to be normal to be under-supplied; to not have more than the bare minimum; to be living from paycheck to paycheck. There is a tone of embarrassment in his voice as well. Maybe he feels embarrassed that he can't offer his friend even the bare minimum. Either way, he tells his story to the man who has the bread. It is imperative that we follow Jesus in His leading about how to approach these kind of situations. And giving our story is a way of communicating where we are and why we are in need.

The third truth is the reference to the lender. The bottom line is that the man with the bread tells the man asking several important questions/messages:
  • It's after hours. 
  • You should have come to me hours ago.
  • There was many previous opportunities for you to come and get the bread.
  • My children and my family are down for the night and it will be quite an inconvenience to them for me to get up and take care of your need.
I'm already up now, come on in and I will get the bread.

God has made a way for you and me to get our needs met, even though we might come to Him late, maybe ask for the wrong thing, maybe ask at the wrong time, and maybe not even ask in the right way. But if we ask seems to be the real message here. God has what you need, for your friend and for yourself. Even if you wait too long to go to God with your problem/need, God will assist you simply because you asked. And from experience, I have found it true that God has answered some of my prayers because I was importunate, not because I asked the right way or at the right time or ended my prayer with the right title; not because I was properly prepared, not because I had made provisions for future events, not because I was warned in advance; simply because God is that great and that good, that God can overlook our insufficiency when He sees our sufficiency, i. e., Christ in us.

No comments:

Post a Comment