I think that this is a very important message for us; to be ready always to explain our reason for following God. What is your reason?
- Is it because God saved you from something?
- Is it because you were brought up in the church?
- Is it because you are afraid of hell?
- Is it because you want to go to heaven?
- Is it because you think becoming a Christian will make all your problems go away?
- Is it because you think you will never get sick if you become a Christian?
- Is it because you just don't like the sound of other religions?
- Is it because you were taught to be a Christian?
- Is it because you got out of something really bad and feel a sort of obligation to God?
You should be sure that you can answer this question for yourself, because all of us are able to rationalize anything and quite honestly, I am afraid that too many people don't have a clue why they are a Christian? If I asked you, "are you a Christian," you would probably say "yes," but if I were to ask you why you are a Christian, what would your answer be?
I would hope that you realized that you were separated from God and that you didn't want to be separated from God.
- That you knew that you have sinned and that you felt that the sin was keeping you from knowing God.
- That you were destined for a life without God and a future that was undetermined.
- That you needed to find a way to re-connect with God.
- That Jesus offered you a perfect sacrifice for your sins.
- That you thought about it and decided on your own that what Jesus did for you on the cross was the perfect atonement for your sin and therefore you chose it.
- That since that time you have come to know Jesus better and that you have peace with God through Jesus Christ.
- That now you realize that through Christ is the only way to reconcile to God.
- That you would tell anyone that ask if you are a Christian: You would say yes, because you want to be.
- That nothing can compare with your relationship with Christ.
- That you understand what God has done and that you choose to follow after Christ.
- That you know deep in your heart that there is no other God and no other way to be reconciled to God.
- That you love all that God has done for you and that you are beginning to see how God is involved in your life in the big things and in the little things too.
- That you wouldn't trade a moment with God for anything without God.
- That you talk to God and God talks to you.
- That God hears you and responds by intervening in your life in a way that fulfills you.
- That you have come to know the creator of the universe and that you are beginning to understand God's ways.
- That you can guarantee them that if they were to make the same choice as you that they would been cleansed from all unrighteousness and that whatever they had done in this life against God or man would be forgiven and forgotten by a God that accepts applications from those whose resumes read like a horror film.
- That you can guarantee them that if they were to make the same choice as you that they would find fulfillment in this life and hope for the life hereafter.
- That nothing compares to the inner knowledge that God is in you and with you.
How many other things can you think of to say that could express why you are a Christian?