How long shall the Holy Spirit indwell the believer? Forever. There are so many teachings on this issue, because there are multiple schools of thought about the role of the Holy Spirit amongst the Churches. I choose to believe the scriptures. The Holy Spirit is God within you.
God comes to make His abode with you. (John 14:23)
You are the building where God resides. (1 Corinthians 3:9)
You are the temple of God. (2 Corinthians 6:16)
You are the habitation of God. (2:22)
With all that going on, doesn't it seem like you might want to get to know the God that lives in you a little better?
- Maybe you could learn to trust the leading of the Holy Spirit within you, more.
- Maybe the answers to your problems aren't that far away.
- Maybe you have within you all the power you need to accomplish that daunting task that you have been ignoring because you though it was too big for you to handle.
- Maybe the blessings of God have already been bestowed upon you and you are acting like you have sand in your eye.
- Maybe you have a gold mine in your home, your work or in your thoughts and you keep passing over it because it is covered with dust or it might take a little effort to uncover.
- Maybe your prayer was already answered but you are unwilling to accept "no", or "wait," or "not at this time" for an answer.
- Maybe you have within you the power to heal your body or to heal your situation, but you haven't used the power within you to do much more than drag your body to church once a week.
- Maybe you know the right words to speak that could change lives, but you were offended once, twenty years ago, and you aren't willing to let go and move on. Sometimes it's easier to stay offended about something, even if you can't even remember what it was, than to be vulnerable, all for the sake of an unthankful soul.
You are not your own, you were bought with a price (1 Corinthians 6:20). You are the steward of the Holy Spirit within, the holder of the sacred truths in the depths of your inner man, the one who provides a habitat for God.
Live large and let God be God in you and through you.
You won't be disappointed. But if you continue to deny God His rightful place in your life/lifestyle, you will have forfeited a great deal of irreplaceable time for much lessor things. Not only do the lessor things lose their value, they change like the wind. Let God have His rightful place in your life and your life will be full beyond measure.