There's no need to over-spiritualize these sentiments. The main point that Jesus was making was that: In the presence of God, you should focus, be quiet and listen. I would say in modern terms it could mean that you would:
Plan your day to include getting all your chores completed, but not to exclude private time with the Lord, which might include:
- Turn off the background TV. You think you need it on, but that's only conditioning.
- Step away from you computer, whether you are on the Internet or just working on something.
- Don't answer the phone. We've become phone addicts. Whatever it is in most cases it can wait.
- Plan to do whatever you have to do to get away with God alone for a time.
- Read the word undisturbed
- Ask Jesus some questions that you need answered
- Pray for a bit and listen carefully as God speaks into your heart
You will have plenty of time to do all the other/Martha things. There will always be plenty of Martha things to do. But it is just as important to do the Mary things."