The Apostle Paul said it like this:
"For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him: And he is before all things, and by him all things consist. I believe the Word." Colossians 1:16-17
The writer of Hebrews puts it like this.
"God, who at sundry times and in divers manners spake in time past unto the fathers by the prophets,
Hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son, whom he hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds;" Hebrews 1:1-2
Because we are the handiwork of God, the solutions to all of our problems, situations and circumstances are theological in nature. Theo coming from the Greek word Theos, which means of God or from God or by God, and logical from the Greek word Logos, which means to speak, or spoken - Theological: That which is spoken of, from or by God. Theology is the study of that which is of God or from God or spoken by God.
The root of all ology's are from God:
- Biology - The study of living organisms.
- Cosmology - The study of the cosmos - the dynamics of the universe.
- Sociology - The study of social structures.
- Anthropology - The study of the origins of culture, and the development of man.
- Physiology - The study of the biological science of life processes.
- Psychology - The study of the mind.
That's why our society is so sick.
That's why, even the Church sin and indiscretion is taken lightly.
Anyone, believer or non-believer who believes what the world says, over what God says - will have constant turmoil, impending trouble, unresolved conflict and seemingly impossible situations. We need to be as up on God's theology as we are new music, new video games, new fashion, new anything.
Even though secular society has attempted to eliminate God, even though everything has its roots from God.
For example to study biology without tracing the first organism back to the time of creation is futile. No true study of biology can be made without, "And God said."
To study cosmology without tracing the universe back to its creator is guessing, not science. Good science must account for the origin of a thing before it can build a preponderance of evidence to make legitimate conclusions about that thing.
Sociology: Men study society and its origins as professors without giving the scriptures their rightful due. In the scriptures, every generation of man is traced back from Jesus to Adam. The rise and fall of civilizations were recorded with pin-point accuracy, but ignored by secular humanist. The classrooms of America are filled with material designed and provided by secular humanist that don't believe a word of the bible.
Anthropologist have the hardest time ignoring the Word of God, because time after time, discovery after discovery, the archaeologist keep on discovering what God said did exist, that the anthropologist said didn't exist.
Physiology - The study of the biological science of life processes. Over and over again the Bible reveals the truth about the species and how each kind procreates its own. The origin of man, the origin of the races, the origin of the languages, are clearly spelled out. To seek out knowledge about the origin of man without the Word of God is fruitless and inconclusive. Only the scriptures tell the whole story.
The study is psychology. A man or a woman that trains in the science of understanding the complexities of the mind and stops short of finding their way back to the cause, the maker of the mind - has little to offer the unregenerate man, and nothing to offer the regenerated man. When the secular psychologist looks into the mind of man without the aid of the indwelling Holy Spirit and the wisdom that comes from above - it's like their standing on the outside of a building that has no windows and guessing what is inside.
The origins for life are found in the scriptures.
The history of man is found in the scriptures.
The history of the universe is found in the scriptures.
And, the solutions for every problem, every circumstance, every trouble, every situation in this life, are found in the scriptures. You don't have anything going on in your life that God is not fully acquainted with - and besides that, God knows how we got in it and God knows how to get us out. There are no exceptions.
If you are not going through the fire right now and you are experiencing the joy and the peace that comes with a yielding relationship with God - then God will simply use this time in your life to draw you closer and impart to you His wisdom - because God understands the good times:
- The times when things seem to come together:
- The times when all your bills are all paid
- The times when your spouse thinks you are the greatest person on earth
- The times when your children do everything you tell them to do, because they believe that you really do know best.
- The times when you are secure
- The times when you have no fear
- The times when you get a raise without asking
But for all the other times:
- Like when nothing comes together, no matter what you do.
- The times when the stress that comes with trying to pay all the bills is so great you want to throw in the towel.
- The times when your spouse seems like your enemy.
- The times when your children don't listen, and actually they believe you are more stupid than a telephone pole.
- The times when you are very insecure and lonely and empty and wanting and depressed.
- The times when you fear everything, you fear tomorrow, you fear death, you fear loss of financial security, you fear singleness.
- The times when you couldn't get a raise or maybe even a job.
It is times like these when God calls us to trust Him, believe in Him and rest on our faith.
A time to pray and plead with God - a time to draw closer than ever before.
- When things are tough, it's not the time to throw in the towel.
- When things are tough, it's not the time to go back to the world's vises.
- When things are tough, it's not the time to reject God's truth.
- When things are tough, it's not the time to go to the world for security.
- It's not the time to seek advise from those who don't have good theology - those who do not know God
If you want a quiet and peaceful life, you need good theology.
If you want comfort in adversity, you need good theology.
If you want a blessed marriage, both you and your spouse will need to practice good theology.
If you are single and want to be happy while being alone and you need good theology.
If you want to be financially secure, you need to practice biblical theology concerning your money. I'm not talking about having taken Larry Burkette's money management course in 1996, I'm talking about living it - today, tomorrow and 10 years from now.
If you want your business to succeed, you need good theology, because everything you need to know about a prosperous business is found in scripture. Again, I'm not talking about some pop-culture, thrown together get rich scheme. Good theology is developed through:
Study of the scripture
Doing it God's way
Hear me on this. Knowing what God says about something doesn't make us an expert. It's the doers of God's Word not the hearers that enjoy the blessing from God.
I don't want to get off a tangent, but this is how a great many people who call themselves Christians live:
They come to hear the Word of God preached.
They listen carefully.
They hear the Word of God.
They decide what portion of it will fit their current lifestyle.
They adhere to those truths and principles that fit into their current way of life, not moved at all by the theology of God, that changes their mind, convicts their hearts or converts their soul.
Only a few want good theology, because only a few are willing to yield there wants and desires for that of God.
Only a few care at all about what God has to say. Most people today are seeking to hear words that comfort them and make them feel good about their current condition. That's not theology, that's Me-ology. Good theology requires that we change the way we think every time God speaks into our being some new truth - (new to us).
Good theology requires that our heart be changed every time God speaks to us and convicts us of sin and indiscretion. Good theology requires we are converted from our way/ways every time God speaks. How many times do you need to be converted!!!?