This is radical Christianity.
- Could it be that Paul is saying that we should take control of our thoughts and make sure that we are thinking spiritually about the situation?
- Is Paul really saying that we shouldn't even allow evil thoughts to come into our mind, but if they do, we should stand against them and cast them out of our mind?
- Is Paul saying that in everything that we think about we should make it subjective to our personal commitment to obeying Jesus?
- Is Paul saying that we should not allow the influences of the world to interfere or skew our responsibility to a holy lifestyle?
- Is Paul nuts? This whole thing sounds like Christianese.
Paul was reminding us that he too had thoughts that were not godly. He had once been a part of the religious elite of the times, seeking out to hurt and even kill those who believed differently than he did. All the while he had believed a lie. He was religious, but not righteous. He was religious, but intolerant of others who might believe differently than he did. He was actually serving the devil under the guise of religious excellence. But when Paul wrote 2 Corinthians he had the advantage of having served Christ and he knew the blessings and benefits of a life well lived under the guidance of the Holy Spirit.
Paul is sharing with you and me what he had come to learn about life. How the important things are often the invisible things.
- That true giving is through silence and anonymity.
- That the real spiritual battles are fought in the mind and the heart.
- That what matters is what God says matters.
- That the real battlefield is your mind.
- That your real enemy invades your thought life to chisel away at the truth that is in you, to question the things of God and allow free reign of the things of the world.
- That true spirituality is received, not earned.
- That obedience to God through a relationship with Jesus Christ is not a kids game, but the real man's/woman's way of life.
- That power is imputed into you by your faith.
- That evil is ever with you, gnawing at you like a canker, pressing in with a vengeance.
- God is in Sovereign.
- You are more than a conqueror through Christ Jesus.
- You can follow Christ.
- You can live a holy life.
- You can think godly thoughts.
- You can resist the devil.
- You can overcome evil.
- You are a child of God.
- You are heir to the kingdom, now and forever.
- You do have the indwelling Holy Spirit within you.
- You can make wise decisions.
- You are the chosen of God.
- You are beautiful.
- You are righteous in Christ.
Take a minute and say at least ten other things to yourself about your self that are beautiful and godly. There is power is believing what God says about you.