Have you ever noticed that the most appreciative people are the ones that have had an encounter with God? I hope you are one. It's easy to speak like David in this Psalm if you have seen God working and interacting, creating and responding in your everyday life. Don't think for one moment that David didn't go through times when he couldn't hear the voice of God and couldn't see how things were going to work out, because David had his doubts at times just like you do. But at some point in time you really need to let go and let God.
Part of this closeness that David displays is taking time to think about God and to consider just how great a role God does play in his daily life.
David realized that God didn't just create him and then say:
"Now you are on your own, I have made everything you will need, including the raw materials that can be manufactured to make weapons, and including new technological advances for the future. Of course I can't participate in your everyday experience and you will have to fight your battles on your own, and you will have to supply all your own needs and you will have to be a little smarter than the other guy if you are going to survive, but I love you and I will be hoping the best for you. I won't be taking any calls/prayers over the next few thousand years but I do hope you will meet up with the right people and create a religious philosophy that will give you something spiritual to hang on to. I know that people will get all mixed up and call God just about anything, but that's OK, it doesn't matter who they think I Am, all paths lead to God."
No way! David knew in His heart that God was not only on the scene but had plans that were carried out by His chosen people. David knew that if he didn't do certain things that they would not get done, because David was the one chosen to do certain things to fulfill the express will of God. It is the same for you. God has certain tasks that only you can do. It should be comforting to know that the very God of the universe has specific tasks for you to do because God knows you fully and knows what you need to be doing to become whole and satisfied.
It amazes me:
- How so many people would rather have the kind of god that just created everything but then leaves them alone.
- How so many people are disgruntled to know that God would require anything from them.
- How so many people want to cherry pick what God does for them and then leave them alone to do other things. They want a magic genie in a bottle, not a living, participating, miracle working God.
- How so many people want a god that is disconnected, unknowing and non-participating.
- There are literally billions of people who not only want, but actually have this kind of god.