Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Daily Devotional July 10 - Why Are You Worthy?

"Now this I say, that every one of you saith, I am of Paul; and I of Apollos; and I of Cephas; and I of Christ. Is Christ divided? Was Paul crucified for you? Or were you baptized in the name of Paul? I thank God that I baptized none of you, but Crispus and Gaius; Lest any should say that I had baptized in mine own name." 1 Corinthians 1:12-15

It's interesting how cult thinking gets started. Today the same as in Paul's day, some people are attracted to a personality and not Christ Himself. Sometimes men or women set out to make this happen and sometimes the parishioners make it happen, but either way, when the focus is on a personality and or certain foolish beliefs and not Christ Himself, you can expect serious ramifications.

I've seen it. Someone is baptized by a certain well-known TV personality and they don it like a red-feathered hat. What can be done about it? Today just as in Paul's day we need to be directed to Christ and direct others to Christ. Jesus is where the power is and in Jesus is where the answers lay. Being recognized for your accomplishments can be a good thing, but not if you are steering people to focus on yourself.

The division is sometimes one of academics. One pastor will have gone to such and such seminary and another was under so and so's teaching and another had their own TV show, but all in all, what was the substance of their study and work and fame. If it is to direct you and I to the feet of Jesus, it is good, but if to be set apart, as in "I am better than you" or "how would you know if you didn't go to my seminary" or "I've made more money than the next two biggest personalities," then it is vain and will not produce good fruit.

I am of Jesus. Yes I have a covering and yes I genuinely respect leadership and accomplishments, but my needs are met when I pray to God and my answers come when I look to the Holy Spirit within and my love comes when I think of Jesus. Of course we all want to be recognized for our accomplishments, but our accomplishments must be seen in the light of the equality of all members of the body and not set one above another in the kingdom of God, the one we live in. Preachers take heed, whatever it is that has caused you to turn from your first love (the study of the scriptures) sell it and come back to the feet of Jesus, where all stand eye to eye and all are children of God and all are only worthy because of Christ in them, not because of education, notoriety or accomplishments.

No comments:

Post a Comment